penang.

When I got home from work last night, my Rufus had printed a bunch of photos from our Malaysian adventure and stuck them up around the bedroom. It was a wonderful reflection on our trip, and made me realise I hadn't finished updating the blog! (Previous posts from the Cameron Highlands and Kuala Lumpur.)

Georgetown was a hot, sweaty, delicious, insane mess of a city. I loved it.

DSC_0003 copy
DSC_0009 copy
DSC_0013 copy
DSC_0017 copy
DSC_0022 copy
DSC_0025 copy
DSC_0019 copy
DSC_0033 copy
DSC_0057 copy
DSC_0083 copy

I loved the street art in the Heritage part of town (the city has been declared a  UNESCO World Heritage Site). I loved the random bursts of colour throughout the city - the tiles in the photo above (not a rarity), the flamboyant trishaw decorations, the gorgeous fairy lights in Little India. I loved the food - especially the hawker stalls at the night market. It was a disgustingly hot night, and I waited in line for the better part of half an hour, but I got to eat the tastiest Char Kway Teow in Penang. We sat amongst the crowded collection of plastic tables and chairs with our new friend - an American on a motorcycle tour of South East Asia - and shared Tiger beers as we sweated profusely (I'm quite sure the chili in our dishes didn't help). For dessert, we tried a local delicacy; Cendol, the thought of which makes my mouth water.

DSC_0007 copy
DSC_0019 copy
DSC_0042 copy
DSC_0055 copy
DSC_0066 copy
DSC_0082 copy
DSC_0088 copy
DSC_0090 copy

On a particularly rainy day, we visited the largest, oldest Buddhist temple in South East Asia - Kek Lok Si. It was stunning. The colour! The detail! The religious statues and rituals surrounding them! It was humbling, and a little overwhelming to be standing in a place steeped in so much tradition, history and importance. I didn't take any photos inside the temples, as it felt a little disrespectful, but trust me - it was just as beautiful inside as out.

We visited the Reclining Buddha (and took photos with an extremely friendly Indian couple), rode in a trishaw to Little India (where we ate some absolutely delicious, authentic Indian cuisine), we drank a lot of Milo, and we explored the cobbled city streets at length before setting off to our next destination - the beautiful island of Pulau Langkawi.

DSC_0040 copy
DSC_0065 copy
DSC_0101 copy
DSC_0114 copy
DSC_0118 copy
DSC_0120 copy
DSC_0146 copy
DSC_0107 copy

As hot and exhausting and smelly as Malaysia was, I find myself missing it quite frequently. I hope that one day we can go back.

4 comments:

  1. Love it! I find myself missing Cambodia a lot too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet! That place would have made a pretty huge emotional impact as well as being interesting as all get-out.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It was so cool! Some really intricate pieces of art, too.

      Delete